DR ESSI D’ALMEIDA
MY NAME IS KOKOU
Hello, my name is Kokou, I am 12 years old. I live in a village at the edge of the hills and I go to school there. In my family, there are 8 people: my father, my mother, 2 sisters, 4 brothers and me. I go to school every day and I enjoy working hard in my lessons. I sit in the front of the classroom and I take notes. My results have greatly improved and my teacher says I am doing very well.
I didn’t always do well at school. I used to prefer sitting at the back of the classroom and never paid much attention to the teacher. I didn’t revise either and my results were bad, really bad, but I wasn’t bothered. I used to think that school didn’t matter.
I said to my father that there is no point in working hard and doing well at school because there aren’t enough jobs to do when you are older. But my father said: “Son, life is tough and no one knows what the future holds. But having an education gives a person more options and more opportunities. Doing well at school can greatly increase our chances of success in life”.
I BECAME A BETTER STUDENT BECAUSE I WANTED MORE OPTIONS IN THE FUTURE
I thought long and hard about what my father said to me and I decided to try harder at school. My next exams were three months away and I said to myself that I’m going to be the best student ever!
The first thing I did was sit at the front of the classroom. Here, I was able to listen to the teacher and concentrate on taking notes. Every morning before school, I eat breakfast because when I don’t, I find it hard to concentrate in class. After school, I like to read and revise my notes in the evening.
I used to struggle conjugating verbs because I found it hard to remember the verbs. But now, on my way to school in the morning, I practise conjugation in my head and also aloud. Now, I am very happy because I have no trouble conjugating any verb. I do the same with vocabulary lists. I revise them at home in the evening and then when I’m walking to school, I recall them.
I PASSED MY EXAMS REALLY SUCCESSFULLY
Three months came. I passed my exams and I was very happy. My teacher was pleased and asked me to share how I prepared for my exams with the rest of the class. So I wrote a list of all the things I did to prepare for the exams and gave a presentation to the class. My classmates clapped when I finished and I cheekily bowed.
When my school results improved, my father was very proud and said: “My son, you see, practice makes perfect!”
My father is right. Practice does make perfect. I am now a good student because of all the revision I did. I’m going to carry on practising and doing well until I leave school.
THIS IS HOW YOU CAN DO WELL IN EXAMS LIKE KOKOU
Preparation for an exam starts the very first week that the school term starts. That’s right, the sooner you start, the better you’ll get! So start revising regularly, that way, when the exam comes, you won’t have too much to study.
- Decide when you study best; morning or evening? And practice during those times.
- Avoid distractions as much as possible when you are studying. Concentrate on your books and your notes.
- Draw diagrams to help you memorise key items.
- Understand what you are studying then go and explain it or teach it to someone else.
- Eat brain food: nuts, eggs and tomatoes can boost brain power.
To succeed, get in the habit of practising your notes regularly. Do what Kokou did. Chant your notes over and over. Use a song you like for example and change the lyrics to your revision notes.
THE NIGHT BEFORE THE EXAM
- Go to bed early so you can have enough sleep.
- Pack everything you will need for the exam before you go to bed: books, pens etc. so they are ready in the morning.
- Try to relax. Think about all the study you have done and how very well you are going to do.
THE DAY OF THE EXAM
- Eat breakfast.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- When you sit in the exam class, it is possible to feel like your mind has gone all blank. But don’t worry. You will be fine because you have come well prepared. Sometimes, it may take a little while to remember everything, but just remain calm and now that your brain has stored everything!
- Take deep breaths and just relax! You have prepared well!