WHAT IS CORONAVIRUS?
Coronavirus is a new virus that originated in China. It is now spreading very quickly. For example, there are nearly 72,000 cases in China. However, it is also spreading to other parts of the world. On the 18th February, it was reported 804 cases and 3 deaths in 25 countries outside of China. These numbers are growing.
HOW IS IT SPREAD?
Because it is a new illness, we do not know how coronavirus is spread from person to person. However, similar viruses spread through droplets of spit from when people cough, sneeze or exhale.
WHAT IS BEING DONE TO STOP THE SPREAD?
Action is being taken to stop the spread of coronavirus. For example, in the parts of China effected, buses, subways and ferries have been stopped. Many aeroplanes have stopped flying to China and people who have recently been in China are being monitored.
HOW CAN I STOP THE SPREAD?
To avoid spreading the disease it is important to:
- Wash your often with soap and water
- Cover your nose with a tissue when you sneeze
- Put tissues that have been used in the bin straight away
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth if you are unwell
- Minimise contact with people who are unwell
- Avoid visiting markets and places where live or dead animals are handled
If you think you may have coronavirus, you must call your doctor straight away. Your doctor may tell you to isolate yourself. This may involve:
- Staying at home
- Not going to school or work
- Not going to public places
- Minimising contact with other people
It is important to do this as there is no known cure for coronavirus. This is why it is so important to stop it from spreading in the first place.
For more information on the spread of Coronavirus, please join our mailing list: