Buying toothpaste can be expensive. Toothpastes bought at shops have some ingredients that may not be good for our health. You can make your own toothpaste without these ingredients. It will clean your teeth as well as toothpaste from a shop!
WHAT YOU NEED
You will need the following equipment:
- A jar with a lid to store your toothpaste
- A spoon to stir
- A bowl or pan to mix your toothpaste in
You will also need the following ingredients:
- Baking soda. This is most important. It is the part of the toothpaste that does the cleaning.
- Coconut oil. This will be the base of your toothpaste. It is important to have a solid oil so it is easy to use.
- Cocoa powder (optional). This is your abrasive. It gets rid of plaque and polishes your teeth.
- Essential oils (optional). These are to make your breath smell nice. You could try mint or cinnamon. Avoid acidic oils such as lemon or orange.
- Put 4 to 5 large spoons of coconut oil into your mixing bowl.
- Add 1 or 2 large spoons of baking soda.
- Add 2 or 3 large spoons of cocoa powder and 15 to 20 drops of essential oil (if you are using these ingredients).
- Mix all the ingredients together until they are a thick paste. Make sure there are no clumps of any ingredient.
- Put your paste into your jar and store with a lid on.
To use your toothpaste, dip toothbrush into the paste. Brush onto your teeth moving the brush in little circles. It is safe to swallow small amounts but you may want to spit it out after use. Brush your teeth 2 times a day when possible.